Household Hazardous Waste Program

E-Waste, Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) & Universal Waste (UW)

The City of Dublin believes it is important for our residents to have easy access to local E-Waste, HHW and UW disposal.


Schools or non-profit organizations that wish to hold an E-Waste event may contact the City to post their event on the City website. We will post the event as long as the hauler/recycler being used is on the State of California authorized E-Waste list. Call the City at 925-833-6630 and ask for the Environmental Services Division. In addition, check out the RecycleWhere website.

Universal Waste

Effective February 9, 2006, a law passed stating that Universal Waste (UW), such as batteries, electronic devices, fluorescent light bulbs, are hazardous and must not be thrown away in the trash. UW contains harmful chemicals which, if put in the trash, may harm people or the environment. UW may contain corrosive chemicals that can cause burns, as well as toxic metals like cadmium and lead.

The following is a list of Universal Waste:

  • fluorescent tubes/bulbs and other Mercury-containing lamps
  • household batteries, rechargeable batteries, button batteries
  • thermostats, thermometers, electrical switches, and relays
  • electronic devices, such as televisions, computer monitors, computers, printers, VCRs, cell phones, telephones, radios. and microwave ovens
Why can’t I throw it away?
The chemicals found in UW can contaminate our air, water, and possibly the food we eat, if not properly disposed of. They can cause additional hazards to your garbage handler as well; for example if a waste processing worker doesn’t know there is a toxic item in the trash and they handle it, they are at risk for being exposed to harmful chemicals.

What can I do with it?
For additional information, call the StopWaste.Org Alameda County Recycling Hotline at 877-STOPWASTE (786-7927), or go to Household Hazardous Waste or Stop Waste. You can also check out the RecycleWhere website for more information. 

Household Hazardous Waste

Common household products (such as cleaners, paints, car products, and pesticides) that may be hazardous to your children, your pets, or the environment may be considered household hazardous waste (HHW). Words such as danger, warning, caution, poisonous, and flammable on the labels can mean a product is toxic. Label the toxic products you find as a reminder to use them up and dispose of them safely. Do not put such materials in garbage cans or storm drains.

Household Hazardous Waste Drop-Off Events

Amador Valley Industries coordinates a one-day Household Hazardous Waste Drop-Off Event available to all Dublin residents annually, usually on the first Saturday in May. This event offers a safe and convenient way to properly dispose of unwanted household hazardous waste. Residents must make an appointment to utilize the annual drop-off event. Please watch your mailbox and our website for more information on the event location and date, or call Amador Valley Industries at 925-479-9545.

Paint Recycling in California

In Dublin, you can return up to five gallons of used paint to Sherwin-Williams Paint store at 6309 Dougherty Road. The paint must be part of the PaintCare program and must have a valid label on the paint can.  Visit the PaintCare website for detailed information on how to recycle your paint cans. We suggest that you also call Sherwin-Williams at 925-551-8355 if you have a question about what they will accept. The Alameda County HHW facilities will also accept paint.

Household Hazardous Waste Collection Facilities

If you can't wait for the next household hazardous waste drop-off day, you can take the waste to one of the three permanent drop-off facilities sponsored by the Alameda County Environmental Health Department Household Hazardous Waste facilities. For more information, facility locations, and operating dates and hours, call 800-606-6606 or visit the website. The Livermore facility will be open weekly starting in January 2015. The County Household Hazardous Waste facilities accept batteries, fluorescent tubes and bulbs, mercury-containing devices and thermostats for free for residents, in addition to other HHW materials. They do not accept electronics. The facilities are conveniently located in Livermore, Oakland, Fremont, and Hayward.

Where Can I Recycle?

RecycleWhere sign